"Just for today, I will give thanks for my many blessings."


The title of this post is one of the five Reiki principles, speaking to the concept of gratitude.  It might be a bit early, but as we come into this week of Thanksgiving, I know life is going to be more hectic than usual, and I wanted to make sure I used this space to share some thoughts on gratitude.   And, equally important :), to post the music for my 90-minute "Burn (off) the Turkey" rides I'll be teaching this week..so a sneak peak to those who are riding with us.  

I have never been a fan of Thanksgiving.  It's a combination of things I won't even try to explain, as I recently did to a friend who came away from the conversation thinking of me as insane (even more so than usual).  I even remember a time during my moody teenage years where I boycotted dinner in protest of the overindulgence.  While I've clearly come out of those extremes, it is still not on my list of favorite days.  

However, I am a big fan of gratitude and, as I've gotten older, prefer to hold this as the focus for my day.  I think it should be a focus every day, but that comes with it's own challenges.   When it comes to Spinning, I struggle through some classes just like everyone else, but I am always amazed at how easy it is to change perspective, by just being thankful that I can even do the class, for the strength in my legs and, often, that it's almost over!

So, as we ride towards another holiday...a big huge amount of thanks to all of you who have supported me in my classes, who come day after day, who have even followed me around, and who have become my friends...especially to Vicky and Irene (told you your names would end up in here) who get me through more classes than they know.   I feel very blessed to be healthy and strong enough to teach something I love doing.  

Okay, that's enough of that.  Don't worry, we won't be holding hands and going around the room sharing what we are grateful for (at least not in the Spin room...lol).  What we will be doing on Thanksgiving morning (and the day after) is settling in for a 90-minute kick-butt ride with me.  It can be a tough task to put together 90 minutes of music, especially when I have been in a bit of a music rut.  But, I pulled some of my favorites from rides old and new and added in some brand new ones, thanks in part to my fellow Spin bloggers, especially Cynthia at www.spinningmusic.wordpress.com, great new stuff!  It's a basic road ride (Interval EZ) and I throw it all in...with some seated  flat breaks to help us pace through it.  Hope you'll join me.  

1.  Certainty (Mark Otten Dub) [feat. Cathy Burton]/Julian Vincent (warm-up)
2.  Give a Little Bit/The Goo Goo Dolls
3.  Disco Lies (Spencer and Hill Remix)/Moby
4.  From Paris to Berlin/Infernal
5.  You're So Damn Hot/Ok Go
6.  Universal Mind Control (UMC)/Common
7.  This is How a Heart Breaks/Rob Thomas
8.  Good Vibrations/Loleatta Holloway & Marky Mark
9.  Hustler (A-Trak Remix)/Simian Mobile Disco
10. When You Were Young/The Killers
11. Mr. Hurricane/Beast
12. Just Dance (RedOne Remix)
13. Let It Rock/Kevin Rudolf & Lil Wayne
14. Ride Wit Me/Nelly
15. I'm Outta Love/Anastacia
16. The Middle/Jimmy Eat World
17. Hey Ya!/OutKast
18. Black Betty/Ram Jam
19. Flathead/The Fratellis
20. Black Balloon/The Goo Goo Dolls
21. Holiday (Faded Ending)/Green Day
22. Come on Get Higher/Matt Nathanson (cool-down)
23. Love, Peace and Freedom/Sita Ram/David Newman (cool-down/stretches)


Comments

Anonymous said…
Thanks for the shout out, Jen! I'd love to teach a 90 minute ride - must see if my gym will consider adding one. All the best for Thanksgiving,

Cynthia
www.spinningmusic.wordpress.com

Popular posts from this blog

the "I Can't Wait Until March" playlist

What's on My Mind

#17