Gratitude.


How interesting. I came to visit my old blog site, and the date of my last post was exactly 2 years ago. Exactly. I guess I turn to writing mostly in times of transition. That needs to stop. I know this. We'll see how that goes! I'm in one of those times, and I'm also in a reminiscent mood. I'm thinking back over 10 years of teaching and this journey I've been on and how I want to shape the next phase. I remember starting this blog in 2008, when I had to search for other indoor cycling blogs to follow. My intention was to share my music and thoughts on teaching, not the technical side, but the emotional side, the stories that motivate me to hop on the instructor bike and those that keep clients coming to class.  Here's my very first post:

So, I've been teaching Spinning classes for a few years now, and often have these moments during the ride, after or before that make me think, question and want to share. I'm hoping to create this space for this purpose. Yes, some days it will be ego-driven, others will be cute, but it is my intention that most will be purposeful, even inspiring. Sure, I have seen people transform their bodies with hard work both in and out of the room, but it's the emotional connection that keeps me intrigued. What keeps them coming back? Is it simply endorphines, is it the meditative factor of the ride...of, literally, spinning wheels and going nowhere, is it the kick-ass music? I'm sure it's a blend of all of this and more, things I hope to explore in future posts. Oh and then I question...am I just making this all too deep and serious? Maybe. But, I have some pretty cool conversations and have met some amazing people. And, if you'e just visiting for the music, enjoy.

"Leave it on the bike." A good friend and I often say this to each other as we're dealing with something tough in our lives. I can close my eyes, create the circles with my feet, relax my shoulders and really feel all the crap melt away. Inhale and exhale, and it's gone, trailing off somewhere behind me....

Not much has changed and, yet, so much has changed.  Facebook happened for the masses around that time and, with it, an explosion of indoor cycling groups, instructor groups, music sharing groups, fitspo, and blogs of all kinds. The few of us who were Googling to find one another soon became friends in cyberspace and, well, let the games begin. The landscape of indoor cycling has also changed with big-name, celebrity backed, branded boutique studios developing faster than we can say "contraindicated." We feel it. We feel the current changing and the rift between those who drink the "Kool-Aid" and those who do not. While I have been "Spinning®" for a long time, I have not been an instructor nearly as long as those who taught in the beginning, and who are fighting to keep the integrity of a workout they love so much. I stay away from the heated arguments, but I am grateful for those who choose to engage with quality opinions. I learn much.  

Some days, it's tough to turn up the energy to teach. Some weeks, there are many of those days.  I've been thinking about this often. Today, in my smaller-than-usual due-to-weather class, I had a client who just suffered a huge loss in life, and I know it has been difficult for her to find the energy to exercise. It might not be every day, but today, she chose my class. In the craziness of my current life, a message made its way through and I felt a ton of gratitude for all those over the years who have chosen my class and have taken the rides with me.  A little dramatic?  For some, maybe.  But, for others, I know they gain much more from sitting in our rooms than a good sweat. This is what keeps me on the bike. And off. And back on, for as long as I choose. 

Here's today's class.  I pulled out some old ones, just because.  Ryde On.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

the "I Can't Wait Until March" playlist

What's on My Mind

#17