Race Day!


I just noticed the first leaves turning yellow and falling to the ground and, as I log in to write this post, I can't believe that I have neglected this as much as I have. I have started 3 posts that went unfinished and have had all good intentions, but it just hasn't happened. It has been an unbelievably busy summer and I have been living out of suitcases more than I'd like to admit. Used to the convenience of the school bus to take the kids door to door, I have had to readjust to driving, scheduling and making sure everyone is supposed to be where they are supposed to be, including myself! However, even with all this craziness, even with the school supplies spread out around me on the floor, and I wonder how time can possibly move so fast, I look back on a full and fufilling summer. A cruise, a camping trip and a mini "Eat, Pray, Love" vacation (kid-free) for me are the memories that anchor this year. In between them are strung water parks, swimming pools, sandy feet, American Idols, bonfires, sunflowers, wine tasting, dancing, many runs, a foot injury, the culmination of 2 years of my own school program, personal growth, manifestations beyond my wildest dreams, smiles and laughter and tears and, oh yeah, that Spinning thing.


Yes, while my schedule dwindled a bit this summer, due to the doors closing at a small, personalized studio, I still taught as much as possible. It is still the rare day that I get on the bike and do not want to be there. I am contnually inspired by the students who come to ride and the ones who make the choice to climb out of their comfort zones. I see it in their expressions and body language when it is happening. I feel it when someone is in the zone and is pushing harder than they thought they could. I am honored to be witness to the process and the emotions that sometimes follow.


It is with all this in mind, that I teach the "Race Day" ride. I teach it with intensity and heart rate, I teach it with hills, but I teach it without much position guidance. I want students to find their flow. I want them to be present and ride it how they want to ride it. I want them to find their limits and then push through them. I coach them to push right through the finish line, not just cross over it. As always, if someone in the room does not want to ride at the upper range of their heart rate, then they will be exactly where they need to be.


This summer has certaintly felt like a race at times and it's not even over. However, I also think I have stopped and enjoyed and given gratutude for the amazing moments that have happened, and there are many. My wish for those who Spin with me is to do the same.


Race Day! music (I purposely choose longer songs for this ride):

1. Don't Stop 'Till You Get Enough/Michael Jackson (warm-up)
2. Disco Lies (Spencer and Hill Remix)/Moby
3. Beautiful Day (Quincey and Sonance Mix)/U2
4. You Can't Always Get What You Want (Re-Mixed and Re-Edited by SoulWax)/Rolling Stones
5. All My Friends/LCD Soundsystem
6. I've Got a Feeling I'm Just Fine/Mash-Up of The Black Eyed Peas and Mary J.
7. Human (Ferry Corsten Club Remix)/The Killers
8. Break On Through (To The Other Side)[Remix]/BT vs. The Doors
9. Sometimes You Can't Make it on Your Own/U2 (cool down)
10. Do You Remember/Jack Johnson

Race Day! Profile (coached with heart rate):

5 minute warm-up

2 minute flat
2 minute climb
1 minute standing flat
3 minute climb
5 minute flat

6 minute climb

5 minute flat
3 minute climb
1 minute standing flat
1 minute flat
2 minute climb
2 minute flat

last 12 minutes: alternating between 1 minute climbs and 1 minute flats, ending on a all-out push through the line.

Comments

kelvin newman said…
That's a tight playlist! Good you're not too prescriptive on positioning, I've had some instructors who seem to care little about changes in intensity just what position you're in.

Popular posts from this blog

the "I Can't Wait Until March" playlist

What's on My Mind

#17